Advertisement
Trending

Criminal Investigation Of Trump In New York Flames Out: Report

Advertisement

OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.


A criminal investigation of former President Donald Trump and his business practices launched last fall by Democratic prosecutors in New York appears to have “fizzled out” without any pending charges being filed, a report claimed on Saturday.

The Washington Post noted that a grand jury convened for the probe, which was launched by former New York County District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., is set to expire this week, with sources close to the investigation saying that there aren’t any charges against Trump in the pipeline.

Vance, when he launched the investigation, appeared certain that Trump could be guilty of manipulating the values of his properties in order to gain tax advantages and favorable loan rates. The grand jury was convened in November as part of that probe.

However, the probe continued throughout Vance’s tenure without any charges being filed. When Vance left office his successor, Alvin Bragg, was left to decide whether he would finish presenting evidence to the grand jury — which has reportedly been inactive, its members told to stay home now for weeks — and request a decision. But he paused the process instead, the Post reported, adding:

A key problem, some of those people said, was Bragg’s concern over whether former Trump fixer Michael Cohen should be used as a witness.

Advertisement

Bragg has said he will announce when the investigation is over, noting that even after the special grand jury disbanded, other grand juries hearing a broad range of criminal cases in New York would be available to take action in this one if needed.

Still, the expiration of the grand jury — and the departure in February of two senior prosecutors who said Bragg was stalling the inquiry — makes any potential indictment of Trump seem unlikely, legal observers have said. By the time Mark Pomerantz and Carey Dunne quit, the grand jury had been inactive for weeks, with jurors being told to stay home, a person with knowledge of the issue previously said.

The paper reported further that prosecutors in the office of New York Attorney General Letitia James, who is also a Democrat, “are skeptical that any criminal case will be brought, people familiar with the situation said,” adding that “a spokeswoman for James said the investigation continues.”

Trump has repeatedly maintained that his businesses have been run above board and that he hasn’t violated any laws. He has also called the ongoing criminal investigations into him, his family, and his businesses a political vendetta by opposition Democrats in the state where he was born and raised.

To that point, during her campaign for state AG in 2018, James campaigned on investigating Trump.

“We will use every area of the law to investigate President Trump and his business transactions and that of his family as well,” James told NBC News in December 2018.

“We want to investigate anyone in his orbit who has, in fact, violated the law,” said James, who was endorsed by then-New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

The outlet continued:

Advertisement

James campaigned on passing a bill to change New York’s double jeopardy laws with an eye on possible pardons coming out of the White House. James told NBC News she wants to be able to pursue state charges against anyone the president were to pardon over federal charges or convictions and whose alleged crimes took place in the state. Under current New York law, she might not be able to do that.

Trump no longer lives in New York City but rather has made his home at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

The former president has been the target of one probe or another practically since he took office in January 2017. And now, the head of his Trump Media & Technology Group, Devin Nunes, believes the Biden administration may be setting its sights on the former president’s newest venture, TRUTH Social.

Nunes, who left Congress to become CEO of the new media conglomerate, said on Sunday that the Department of Homeland Security’s new “Disinformation Governance Board” will target the tech platform. He also said that the government itself is poised to become the most significant threat to freedom of speech now that “Big Tech tyrants” can’t silence their voices, the Washington Examiner reported.

“I think it’s so Orwellian, so dystopian, something you only see in dictatorships that now they’re going to set up some type of disinformation board. I think that’s a direct attack on what we are doing at Truth Social because we can no longer be canceled,” Nunes told Maria Bartiromo on her Fox News show “Sunday Morning Futures.”

Back to top button