DA Shoots Down ‘Public Interest’ In Releasing Bodycam Footage Of Pelosi Attack


OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

The San Francisco District Attorney is downplaying “public interest” in releasing the police bodycam footage from the night of the attack against Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. However, members of the Pelosi family were given the opportunity to listen to the 911 call from that night as well as see the footage.

“That meeting is happening today, so limited members are able to view that footage so that they can have certain questions in their mind answered. But it’s a very limited number of family members, and that should be going on as we speak,” San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins told CNN.

“For us, revealing that evidence through the media is just not what we think is appropriate. We want to make sure that this individual is held accountable for these egregious acts. For us, we’re going to make sure that we limit the evidence as much as possible in order to get that done,” she added.

“Without specifying which specific members were given access to the evidence Wednesday or any other details of what they might have seen, Jenkins defended law enforcement’s decision not to immediately release that material to the public. She said no to host Wolf Blitzer’s question about whether there is a public interest in releasing these materials, stressing that her focus is protecting the investigation and the success of the prosecution,” the Washington Examiner reported.



Last week, a man broke into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s home in California and assaulted her husband, Paul Pelosi.

“The Canadian national accused of attacking the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was in the country on an expired visa and is now facing deportation after the criminal case is resolved, federal officials said. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said it has placed a “detainer” with state and local law enforcement agencies for David DePape, 42, who is accused of attacking Paul Pelosi, 82, at the Pelosis’ San Francisco home on Oct. 28. DePape entered a not-guilty plea to the charges and remains in custody,” MSN reported.

“According to ICE, DePape remains in the San Francisco jail. With a detainer, federal authorities request to be notified before releasing a foreign national. At the state level, DePape faces charges of attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, residential burglary, false imprisonment and threatening a public official. He also faces federal charges that include attempted kidnapping and assault with intent to retaliate against a federal official by threatening or injuring a family member,” the report added.

The Department of Justice filed the charges on Monday.

U.S. Capitol Police have surveillance cameras to monitor Pelosi’s home in San Francisco, California.

However, a new report alleges that the officers who were supposed to be watching those cameras missed the break-in that resulted in Paul Pelosi being assaulted in his home.

According to The Washington Post, officers in Washington, D.C., monitoring security feeds were not aware that anything was wrong at Pelosi’s home until cameras recorded several squad cars outside the home.

The cameras watching Pelosi’s home were among 1,800 monitored by the Capitol Police, the report said. When the Capitol Police checked the recordings from before officers arrived, they saw an intruder breaking glass and entering Pelosi’s home, the Post reported.

CNBC reported:


The camera is one of about 1,800 at the Capitol complex and around the country that the Capitol Police have the ability to monitor. The Washington Post first reported no one was actively watching the camera feed when the break-in occurred early Friday morning.

Pelosi’s home is monitored full-time when she is there, however. “She is the mission,” one of the sources told NBC News. Capitol Police have around 2,300 employees, which could limit the agency’s ability to monitor all of its feeds, including those at the homes of protectees when they aren’t there. Pelosi was in Washington, D.C., at the time her husband, Paul Pelosi, was attacked.

The outlet — citing “several current and former law enforcement officials, many of whom spoke to The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity because the break-in remains under investigation” — said the speaker’s home should have been among the most secure.

The Capitol Police were not monitoring the video from Pelosi’s home 24/7 at the time of the break-in because she was in Washington, the report said.

Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger spoke about the incident.

“The USCP has engaged in a review of Friday’s incident,” Manger said in a statement Tuesday.

Back to top button